1945 took over the French army 1938 – shortly after the incorporation of St. Georgens – built “Schlageterkaserne” and named after the French marshal and fortress master builder “Vauban“. The area fell in 1992 after the withdrawal of the French armed forces to the Federal Property Office. For the equivalent of 20.45 million euros, the city purchased 34 hectares of the 38-hectare site for the development measure, around 4 hectares were taken over by the Studentenwerk and the “Self-Organized Independent Settlement Initiative” to convert a total of 10 barracks buildings into affordable housing.
In 1993, some dedicated people around the thought leaders André Heuss and Matthias Martin Lübcke developed the vision of an ecological, largely car-free district on the Vaubangelände. In order to turn these ideas into reality, the “Forum Vauban” was founded in 1994 and, with the collaboration of numerous experts, developed concepts for the new district. In the same year, the city of Freiburg praised an urban design ideas competition, which won the office Kohlhoff & Kohlhoff, Stuttgart. The planning specifications were among others:
The winning design of the urban design ideas competition established today’s street layout and thus a predominantly east-west orientation of the buildings to be constructed and formed the basis for the development plan, which became legally binding in 1997.
Forum Vauban e.V. – recognized by the city as a provider of “extended citizen participation” and subsidized in the start-up phase – achieved with its work the implementation of a socio-ecological district. This included u.a.
In addition, the Forum enforced the preservation of a central house, which was expanded between 2001 and 2007 with much civic engagement and own contribution to the self-governing district center “Haus 037“.
In the time before the construction development, the area was used by Wagenburgen. In 1997, the first plots of land were sold and brisk construction began. Already in 1999, the marketing of the second construction phase in the west was started. In 2002, the implementation of the third phase of construction began, and several initiatives campaigned for the preservation and conversion of the remaining barracks buildings into affordable residential and commercial space. Unfortunately, only the “Service Initiative Vauban” (DIVA) prevailed at the city and in 2003 to buy the building on the Lise-Meitner-Straße; the other barracks were demolished.
In the same year, Forum Vauban went bankrupt due to a controversial recovery of EU funds. Dedicated Vauban residents then discussed various options for representing the interests of the residents. In 2005, the “District Association Vauban e.V.” was founded and officially registered by the city administration as a civic association.
The tram line 3 Vauban was opened in 2006. Thanks to civic engagement, the planned development of the square in front of House 037 could be prevented and inaugurated in 2007 as a converted marketplace. In addition, the previously received formally to Freiburg-St. Georgen Vauban belonging to the status of a separate district.